Friday, August 13, 2010

Emma and I - A match made in library heaven!

# 19 on my To Do list is to read all six of Jane Austen's novels.

I finished reading Emma, I loved it! I think I knew I would even before I started.

Austen said she was "going to take a heroine whom no-one but myself will much like" and I understand why she said that, Emma can come across as meddling, incorrigible and snobbish - but I thought she always meant well, and was delighted by how self assured she was and how much confidence she had in her opinions and matchmaking schemes (regardless of how foolhardy they were!).

Mr. Darcy will always be my favorite Austen man but Mr. Knightley comes a close second!

Emma: BBC's Mini Series
I also rented the BBC mini series starring Romola Garai as Emma and I thought they did a great job with the book, as always (the Pride & Prejudice mini series is a treat to watch as well! If you like the book, I highly recommend the dvds).

I am starting on Northanger Abbey now and am looking forward to it.


Note: It took me longer than I expected to read Emma because I may or may not have (I admit nothing!) got side tracked by a book I got from the NYPL (and had to return within a week!) about a vampire and a telepathic waitress!



No comments: