Sunday, September 26, 2010

Northanger Abbey

# 19 on my To Do List is to read all six of Jane Austen's novels.

I love Jane Austen because of the wry humor, charm and deeply perceptive observations of human nature that is her writing.

Jane Austen in Bath via Pemberley 
I just finished reading Northanger Abbey a couple of days ago. It was her first novel but the last one to be published. The book is largely a parody of the gothic novel, a genre that was extremely popular in Austen's time.

I liked the book a lot, maybe it wasn't as polished as her later novels, but it had an innocence about it and I enjoyed the parody, the relationship between Catherine and Henry and the "villains" getting their comeuppance. I also really liked it because with the frequent interruptions from the author I felt there was so much more of Austen in this book.

I cannot wait to read Mansfield Park which is next on my list!

No comments: