Wednesday, September 29, 2010

On my bookshelf

Both Rohit and I love reading and we'll pretty much devour anything! So I thought I'd start a section on books that we have read, are reading, own and want to own!

via Arts Journal

Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
One of my favorite books, I thought Catcher in the Rye was brilliant, original, unpretentious and the characters so real. Allie's baseball mitt, Jane Gallagher's game of checkers, Holden's red hunting hat, the ducks at Central Park and Phoebe's notebook have stayed on with me long after I put the book down. I read this book first when I was nearly fourteen and to me it remains as poignant and relevant today as it did nearly fifteen years ago.

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
One of the books I think all young pre teen girls should read is, Gone with the Wind.
Even if they haven't read the book most people know what its about - Love. Life. War. Loss. Society. Race. Money. Politics. Endurance. and so much more. The characters are so perfectly written and some of the moments in the book are heartbreakingly beautiful.
I think, however, that you should read it understanding who the author is and the time it was written in. 

Atonement by Ian McEwan
I know Atonement isn't like your typical McEwan novel, but I loved it. The slow pace to begin with, the beautiful imagery, and the distinct vivid scenes in the book - from the hazy, warm, almost claustrophobic English summer to the acrid graphic scenes at Dunkirk. Absorbing, intriguing and always tender, I couldn't put this book down.

No comments: