Friday, December 3, 2010

Making History

# 11 on my To Do List is to Spend a Night in a Historic Hotel.

I completed it last week, but it was entirely unexpected and looking back on my list, I realize its one of the few items I could actually do without any planning or concerted effort on my part (however, now that I think about it, I could technically end up diving with a whale shark entirely without my knowledge!) I was delighted when I realized where we were staying and couldn't stop jumping up and down (I literally jump up and down when I am happy!) 

The El Convento in Old San Juan is over 350 years old and was originally the Monastery of Our Lady Carmen of San Jose and is situated right across the (lovely, blue, cobbled) street from the San Juan Cathedral. In the early 60's it opened as the El Convento Hotel.

Hotel El Convento
The hotel was elegant, timeless and filled with so much old world charm - I fell in love with it at first sight and all the wonderful little details left me spellbound - the tiled stairs, the terracotta floors, the wooden antique chests, shuttered doors & windows and that lovely mustard color that complements all the beautiful greenery around!

View from outside the rooms
Tiled Staircase

San Juan Cathedral

Old San Juan
:)

No comments: