Monday, December 6, 2010

Nowhere in Africa

via Google Images
# 39 on my List is to watch all of the Oscar winners for Best Foreign Film from 1980 till present.

Last night I crossed another one off my list when I saw Nowhere in Africa (Nirgendwo in Afrika, Germany, 2002).

The film is based on an autobiographical novel by Stefanie Zweig and it tells the story of a Jewish family who flee the Nazi regime and emigrate to Kenya during the second World War. The movie is a lot of things, an expansive romance, a coming of age story a slice of history ... but at its heart its the story of a family, their fear, confusion, love and constantly shifting desires.

I thought the movie was understated, graceful, touching and had some really beautiful cinematography. The performances were flawless and tender.

No comments: