Thursday, November 24, 2011

Peru- The Amazon Forest

There is something strange about having made this list,  I find that I am actually finally doing all the things I've always wanted to do. I don't know if it has some fatalistic reason behind it all or just simply putting things down on paper (or in this case a blog!) makes you focus on what's important but that does not explain how things happen almost accidently - whatever the reason it makes me happy so it can't be all bad!
No 10 on my list is to photograph an endangered species.
I did it while in the Amazon forest in Peru. The beautiful Giant River Otter.

We set out early morning to Oxbow lake and had to be extremely quiet as the otter is extremely sensitive to human activity which can lead abuse, neglect, cessation in lactation and even infanticide. We paddled around for about an hour taking in the serenity of the Amazon at dawn. I had almost given up on seeing the otter but was happy just being there in that clear morning air and seeing all the other beautiful birds and animals. All of a sudden we heard its call and almost out of nowhere this family of river otters was gracefully swimming and weaving in and out of the water.

I was so enthralled I almost forgot to take pictures, I just sat their speechless, mouth agape; I finally had the sense to shut my mouth and take a few pictures of them.



One day when I'm old and grey, I'll look back at the photographs and nostalgically, hopefully still with a sense of disbelief remember that morning.

We stayed at Posada Amazonas in the Amazon - an eco lodge, without electricity or televisions or computers and no cell phone connection - It was a relief. I recommend it even if it is just for a couple of days - its an unparalleled feeling to wake up to the sounds of birds and monkeys and see the fireflies and starlit night. Living in the city, its been a while since I actually saw a star - sad but true.

I'll leave you with some pictures from our stay.
The swallow tail butterfly on the banks of the amazon river - the minerals in the mud help it release phermones to attract their mates
Our room. One wall was open facing the forest - like I said the experience was unparalleled
The bat falcon - the Batman of birds!
Piranha - This was a catch and release. Piranhas can apparently stay out of water for almost half an hour. I didn't have the heart to fish for them even if we were putting them back in almost immediately.
The Spider Monkey
Macaw bird watching - this pic doesn't capture the awkward angle we had to sit in the bird house to catch a sight of these beautiful birds - but it was so worth a sprained neck
We left the Amazon and spent a few hours in Lima before heading back to NYC. Fun, fast paced and friendly, I loved the capital and want to go back some day to spend a little more time there. 

1 comment:

ks said...

really beautiful pictures! i love the otter write up and i noticed you were wearing the blue earrings i got you for your birthday. loves it :) eyes filled up when i saw the photo of dearest lara. you should add the link to your blog on fb and/or open a flickr account?
loves!
k